Wednesday, April 2, 2008

NCAA Tournament/UT Season Recap

I meant to do a more blow-by-blow version of the tournament on the blog, but wasn't able to for manifold reasons. Perhaps in a future sports-incarnation of the blog I would do this. Going through the three Tennessee games blow-by-blow isn't worthwhile at this point either, since you already know the outcome.

Before the SEC Championship began, I believed that this season, I would not be forced to create a special "Tennessee Wins the Championship" bracket, that I could legitimately choose them as the winner in my real bracket. Our subsequent performances erased this possibility, however. Two things in particular I think sapped the Vols' competitive advantage:

1. Collapse of a perimeter threat. I lay most of this at the feet of Chris Lofton. As the season wore on he declined to the point of being a tenacious defender, safe pair of hands at the free-throw line, and little else. Jajuan was able to put up average numbers from long range, but we ceased to be the deep threat we once were. The consequences were that teams were not as frightened of our guards, and could commit more resources to Chism and Tyler Smith down low, who are great but can't be expected to carry our offense. You might categorize this under a more general "Decline of Overall Shooting" problem. Oh, and Jordan Howell stopped playing basketball.

2. Loss of hustle, zeal, edge, etc. This frankly surprises me of a Bruce Pearl team. Especially in the tournament and with the Louisville game as the culmination, we just looked tired - like we didn't want it. I have a suspicion that this problem may be part of a larger team chemistry problem, which is more worrying. A couple of things suggest this to me - Jajuan, who got a little too thuggish for my tastes at times this season. The prime example is him talking shit to Arkansas' coach in our SEC tournament loss, which at the time amused me slightly but didn't seem so cute after we lost. Someone as vocal as Jajuan needs to be a mature emotional leader for the team, and I don't see him as that. Second, JP Prince. This one is more of a gut feeling...it might just be that I stigmatize him because he's related to Tayshaun and Tayshaun played for Kentucky. If I remember correctly, JP bitched at a teammate during the Memphis game, which is not cool under any circumstances, and more importantly, he makes key mistakes and key times, which really hurt us in the tournament.

Anyway, my initial bracket selections had us beating Louisville, but essentially after the American game I knew we were on Casey Jones' train. Another thing that didn't make me feel very good was watching the pre-game interviews with Pearl and Pitino. Bruce talked -exclusively- about being happy to be there, lucky to be there, etc. He mentioned nothing about the game itself. Pitino, while not exactly George Patton, at least mentioned preparation against our team, players to watch for, etc. The difference in focus was clear.

I'm sad that Davidson failed to pull it out against Kansas - their last possession was complete rubbish, they didn't do so much as drive on the basket having come out of a timeout; as great as their story was they didn't deserve to win that one. I had vehemently hoped that Memphis would be exposed already as a worthless team, but alas, they've smoked their opponents. I heard of a strategy that I really think an early round team ought to have used on them: start your 3 worst players, and 2 starters. Foul Memphis on every offensive possession they have, and rotate your unskilled foulers so that by halftime, each has 4 fouls or has fouled out. Memphis' horrible free-throw shooting will halve their normal offensive output, and in the second half you put starters in and play against your deficit, and bank on out-hustling them. It's not all that ridiculous; I think it could work.

I'd still bet on UNC but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else beat them. I'll be having my own Final Four party this weekend because everyone will be gone again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just read this because I haven't read your blog in a while, but I strong disagree about your assessment of J.P.'s attitude. While he may have turned the ball over at inopportune times during the tourney, you can't be too surprised since he was playing PG for this first time all year in probably our most pressure filled games. As for his attitude, from everything I've seen due to my current job, which is a lot, he is by far one of the better personalities on our team. Not trying to be a bitch, but I felt the need to comment.

Jesse said...

I don't know him off the court. I'm sure he's a great person. I can only judge him by what I see on the court.